Changing Custody in Your Parenting Plan after Your Case is Over

Learn More


Are you a parent who is recently divorced in Georgia?

Or a father or mother who has recently been gone through a legitimation case?

While navigating the end of your court case can be overwhelming, it's important to stay informed and understand what comes next.

One key element to take into account is how to go about changing custody in your parenting plan after the case has ended.

Whether you are considering filing for a modification of custody or want to understand more about when this might be necessary, we can help.

Overview of the process for changing your parenting plan in Georgia

As parents, we want to always do what's best for our children.

However, as our lives change, so do our needs and responsibilities which may mean that modifications need to be made to our parenting plan.

In Georgia, the process for changing your parenting plan can seem daunting but it doesn't have to be.

The first step is to decide what changes you would like to make and why you believe they should be made.

From there, reaching out to an experienced family law attorney can help guide you through the legal process and make sure your interests and those of your children are protected.

Remember, seeking a modification to your parenting plan isn't a sign of failure or defeat – sometimes it's just a necessary step in ensuring the best possible outcome for your family.

What if my parenting plan or custody order is from another state?

If you have a custody order from a different state, but now live in Georgia, you are still able to modify it, provided that you and the child live in Georgia and your ex no longer lives in the old state (or will consent to Georgia hearing the case).

But first, you must domesticate or register your "foreign order" with the Georgia courts. For more on this process, please check out our page on how to enforce your out-of-state order.

Then, after that is done, you are able to bring a regular modification action in Georgia.

Requirements to bring a modification of custody case in Georgia

If you're considering bringing a modification of custody case in Georgia, it's important to understand the requirements that must be met in order to successfully do so.

First and foremost, you must demonstrate what the law calls a "significant change in circumstances" that affects the welfare of the child.

This can include things like a change in living arrangements, the child's behavior or health, or a change in one parent's work schedule.

Additionally, you must show that the modification is in the best interests of the child.

The court will consider a variety of factors when making this determination, including the child's relationship with each parent, their current living situation, and any history of abuse or neglect.

Working with an experienced family law attorney can help ensure that your modification of custody case is successful and that your child's best interests are protected.

What to consider when deciding if you should change custody in Georgia

Making the decision to change custody of a child is never an easy one.

As a parent, it's important to consider all factors before reaching a final decision.

In Georgia, there are several things to take into account when determining if a custody change is necessary.

First, it's important to examine the child's current living situation and their relationship with each parent.

Additionally, any recent changes in the parent's circumstances, such as a move or a new job, should be taken into consideration.

Ultimately, the child's best interests should be the top priority in any custody decision.

It's always a good idea to seek the advice of a qualified attorney who has experience in family law to help guide you through the process.

Tips on how to negotiate with your ex-spouse during the custody modification process

Going through a custody modification process with your ex-spouse can be an emotionally challenging experience.

However, negotiating with them during or outside of mediation doesn't have to be.

The key is to maintain a friendly and professional tone throughout the process, and always keep the focus on what is best for your children.

You should also prepare yourself before the negotiation by meeting with your lawyer and gathering any necessary documentation.

During the mediation, if you and your ex are in the same room, use active listening skills and take breaks if you need to.

It's okay to consult with your attorney at any time.

Always keep in mind what's in the best interest of your child and be willing to compromise for their sake.

By following these tips, you can have a successful negotiation and mediation process that prioritizes your child's needs.

Things to keep in mind while attending mediation or hearings regarding custody changes during your modification case in Georgia

Going through a custody modification case in Georgia can be stressful and emotional.

It's important to keep a few things in mind when attending mediation or hearings.

First, dress professionally and arrive on time.

The way you present yourself can have a big impact on the outcome of your case.

It's also important to be respectful and polite towards everyone involved, including the other parent and the judge.

Avoid getting defensive or confrontational, and instead focus on presenting your case in the best possible light alongside your legal team.

Be prepared to provide documentation and evidence to support your requests, and stay focused on the best interests of your child.

Remember, the goal is to reach a fair and mutually beneficial resolution for everyone involved.

To Sum It Up

When trying to modify your parenting plan, keeping a level head and making sure to check each item off the list given to you by your legal team can make the process easier.

Take the time to sit down and ask yourself tough questions about what is best for both you and your child, so that when you and your attorney are advocating for your position in mediation or in trial, everyone involved will have a clear understanding of why the changes being requested are necessary.

If you'd like to discuss your specific case further, feel free to give us a call at (770) 580-3699 to start the conversation. We're happy to help any way we can.