Can I give my baby to a family member?

Can I give my baby to a family member?

Having a baby is a life-altering event that can sometimes lead to unexpected circumstances. As a birth mother, you may find yourself considering options for your baby and want to know “Can I give my baby to a family member?” The short answer is, in Georgia: yes, you can, but you must go through the proper channels and, ideally, the court system.

Even though you’re going through a lot emotionally, it’s important to understand the legal aspects and your rights in such a scenario.

That’s why we’re here to help. Below, we will explore the legal way in Georgia to give your baby to a family member, whether a lawyer needs to be involved, your rights as a birth mother, the process you need to take, and the concept of Kinship rights.

What is the legal way to give my baby to a family member?

When it comes to giving your baby to a family member, the legal way to proceed differs depending on your jurisdiction – or the state where you live and where the baby is born. In most places, the typical process involves a legal adoption or guardianship arrangement.

How to legally give your baby to a family member in Georgia

In Georgia, there are a few options, depending on how much of your rights you want to keep as your child’s mother.

If you’re in a tough spot, but know you’ll get out of it soon, you can go through Probate Court and establish a Temporary Guardianship with your designated family member. This will allow the child to be enrolled in school, receive health benefits, and the other items necessary for a guardian to take care of the child. Then, when you are ready to resume your full parental role, you can ask the court to end the guardianship, and you will be the child’s official legal guardian and custodian, as his or her parent.

If you know that you would like a more permanent placement for your child, and you do not think you will be able to parent him or her in the future, you can do a consent adoption with your family member. Once the adoption is finalized, though, you will not be legally a parent to your child, and you will no longer have rights to him or her. You may, however, be able to structure your adoption as an open adoption, allowing you to still be in your child’s live, even if it is not as his or her parent.

It is crucial to consult with a family law attorney who specializes in adoption or custody matters to ensure you follow the correct legal procedures in your area, and based on your desired outcome.

Does a lawyer have to be involved for me to give my baby to a family member?

While it might be possible to navigate the process without a lawyer, our policy is to always recommend hiring a lawyer to handle this important and potentially life-altering matter – especially in cases involving formal adoption or guardianship.

A lawyer can guide you through the legal requirements, help you understand the implications, and ensure that your rights and the best interests of the child are protected throughout the process.

What are my rights as a birth mother in giving my baby to a family member?

As a birth mother, you have certain rights when considering giving your baby to a family member. These rights may vary depending on your jurisdiction, but generally include:


You will typically need to provide your consent for the adoption or guardianship arrangement. This consent is essential to ensure that you are comfortable with the decision and that it is made willingly.

Legal representation

You have the right to consult with a lawyer who can explain your rights and represent your interests throughout the process. A lawyer can help ensure that your rights as a birth mother are respected and that you are fully informed about the legal implications of your decision.


In some cases, you may have the right to maintain confidentiality during the process, depending on the laws in your jurisdiction. It’s important to discuss this aspect with your attorney to understand your options.

What is the process I need to take to give my baby to a family member?

The process of giving your baby to a family member typically involves several steps:

Seek legal advice

Consult with a family law attorney experienced in adoption or custody matters to understand the specific requirements and procedures in your jurisdiction.

Consent and documentation

If you decide to proceed, you will need to provide your consent and complete the necessary legal documents, such as an adoption petition, guardianship agreement, or other relevant paperwork.

Home study

Depending on the jurisdiction and the nature of the arrangement, a home study may be required to assess the suitability of the family member to provide care for the child. This evaluation ensures the child’s safety and well-being.

Court process

In many cases, the adoption or guardianship arrangement will require court approval. Your attorney will guide you through the court process, representing your interests and ensuring all necessary legal steps are taken.

Post-placement support

After the adoption or guardianship is finalized, there may be ongoing support available to help both you and the adoptive family adjust to the new arrangement. This support can include counseling, access to resources, and assistance with any legal or emotional challenges that may arise.

What are Kinship rights?

Kinship rights refer to the legal recognition and rights given to family members who assume caregiving responsibilities for a child, often when the child’s birth parents are unable or unwilling to provide care. These rights can vary by jurisdiction but typically include considerations such as visitation, custody, financial support, and legal decision-making authority for the child.

Final Thoughts

When considering giving your baby to a family member, it is crucial to understand the legal process and your rights as a birth mother. Know your options and protect yourself, if you do want to maintain contact or parental rights with your child moving forward.

Consulting with a family law attorney will provide you with the guidance and support needed to navigate this complex situation. Remember, every jurisdiction has their own specific laws and regulations, so make sure you look for a local family law attorney who specializes in adoption and guardianship rights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *